Thursday, June 7, 2007

Peter - Carepages - June 7th, 2007


Hard to believe that on Saturday little Mr. Peter Bear will turn one month already! Feels like he's been with us for ever, but at the same time one month is such a mile stone!! He gets more cute by the day...look out world! He is becoming more and more popular with the nurses, and I often get stopped in the hall by nurses from the NICU wanting to know how Peter is doing. We are starting to get some more regulars which is nice for Peter and me. We are waiting for the official lab results, but preliminary results would indicate Peter stayed at all the same levels as on Tuesday. While we hope the creatinine drops further, he is still so much better than before and (knock on wood)nothing new seems to be emerging. He took a dip in his weight again last night - so it seems he continues to hover right around his birth weight. Late yesterday his fortification was increased in calories, so hope to see that kick in over the next day or so. One last change, as if I needed more! Every time I get a routine, things change. They want to let Peter graduate to a more self-regulated feeding schedule. Right now he's fed every three hours, and while he will probably stay close to that, they want to start responding to his initiative as opposed to waking to feed him. I am told it is important as part of his neurological development. I am mentally adjusting to this. All in a days work! Although it is a bit stressful making a change when you think things are working well, I realize this will get him closer to not needing a feeding tube. Rather than monitoring each ml feeding by feeding, they will look at his collective input over a 12 and 24 hour period. He tends to do better in the afternoon and then again around midnight, so if we let him do his own thing we may find that he can make up in one feeding what he left in the prior feeding, etc. Fingers crossed! Sorry no new pics right now. I will try to get some posted again later today or tomorrow. Peter has a mohawk again! The cardiologist was amused when she checked him out today. I did let her know that his hairstyle changes based on what is happening that day - and that for surgery he will be going in with a full attitude mohawk. Now I'm wondering if there is a way to color his little hair - maybe food coloring? I know you all think my Starbucks and sleep deprivation is catching up to me....but would the doctors not really take note of this little angel if he showed up for surgery with a blue mohawk??!! He has made such an impression with folks being the only blonde baby here that I'm thinking he can make a real statement with his "do"...everyone will know Peter soon! Anyway, going to run hang with my man before he realizes I snuck out for lunch. Last night he made me feel so guilty for leaving...even though it was 10:30pm. He followed me with his eyes and when I was out of sight he started crying. The nurse laughed to see how he has me tied around his little finger! Thank you for all your prayers!! Blessings, catherine

No comments: