Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Peter - CarePage - November 5th, 2008

When a door closes, He opens a window!

I realize we are a broad group of people with very diverse ideas. And I realize that today, the day after our elections finally got here you are either excited or disappointed - but soon the reality that we continue to have the same lives we did the day before yesterday sets in. I was admittedly in the 47 million disappointed voters last night. As a matter of I sat staring at the computer monitor and I cried, and cried and cried. Exhausted from being an elections judge, I finally went to bed. I honestly felt complete and utter despair. For those of you who are going to be terrible offended, please feel free to stop reading now. I promise to as much as possible keep my future blogs politics free.

Last night though I cried, I cried in complete and utter frustration, sorrow, and anger that we have elected officials into all levels of our government who do not recognize the dignity and value of every human life. My heart broke at all the lives we will loose to abortion in the upcoming years. So far it is 47 million over 35 years - and how many thousands of them were little babies like Peter? - innocent, loving and trusting. Not given an opportunity to even take their first breath. And for those of you already gasping at my conservative views - I did warn you! I can't tell how many times I hear the argument of mother's health, rape and incest. However, based on what Planned Parenthood has report that accounts for maybe 1% (that would be ONE percent) of all abortions performed annually. So - in the spirit of cooperation - let's focus on the 99% that dispose of a human life because it is imperfect or inconvenient. Or as I was told by some close to me during my pregnancy "a problem that should be taken care of" or a "burden" I had the responsibility of disposing of before it was too late. And after Peter was born, people meeting him for the first time that tell us how sorry they were for us - "what a shock" or "how disappointing". Or better yet the "you knew and you still had him?"....well, yes! YES! And I stand her today feeling like the blessed mother in the group because I got Peter and they didn't. I realize it is childish, but I feel like I undeservingly I was blessed with the best.

Today I woke up early for my morning prayers - tried really hard to be at peace and in praise. It was hard. I've been called to Psalm 37 in recent days - so I prayed it too, then sat down to journal. Wanting this heavy weight off my heart. I wanted to trust and believe and see the light that shines beyond that dark clouds. I told God how hard it was for me today. I read a few e-mails from friends about being positive, and keeping our eye on Him. "If only it were that easy" I thought. I'm an amateur at this and I still despair!!

I reflected on the actual elections. Mr. Obama ran a remarkable campaign that has redefined how politicians run. Mr. McCain ran a more traditional campaign. And, while I am generally a traditionalist, I am hooked on gadgets, small appliances and pretty much anything cool with power. And, that is that campaign that Mr. Obama ran. Really, it was like seeing a new technology rolled out on your computer....for some of us aging folks - the first time we saw a "Windows" computer after spending years learning how to enter commands at the prompt sign and thinking Pong was the coolest game ever. And I sat back saying, I must learn something from this - that to really engage people, drive change, and get people moving - we must honestly change the same old way we've always done things. We need to learn and revolutionize - we must think outside of the box and be creative in how we reach people with the voice. Guess what - as I thought this felt a ray of hope breaking through the dark clouds.

I get it God! I need to learn, but I must not give up. I must not feel defeated - I must continue down the path of truth to protect every human life. This isn't about religion - it is about humanity, respect, dignity. Mind you this all happened by about 6:45 when I had to get the kids up. I prayed that God continue to give me opportunities to share and educate on the blessing of our children - and especially those that will be less protected than before, those we called disabled but who in so many ways are more able than us. And then the sign - as I read through my e-mails I found the one I had not expected to see. Yesterday while working the elections I received an e-mail welcoming me to the Colorado Springs Down Syndrome Association board. I had interviewed last month and felt I did not do well. But, they were excited at the ideas I had and I officially join the board in January. WOW! WOW-WOW! WOW-WOW-WOW!! An opportunity to truly be a part of an organization dedicated to protecting the rights of our special children and educating our communities and our medical providers so that prospective and new parents will not have to be afraid at the news none of us expects to hear.

So I learned today that yes, when it seems a door has closed, God will provide the open window for us to keep going.

God bless you all -
catherine

No comments: