Friday, October 31, 2008

Peter - CarePage - October 31st, 2008


Happy Halloween (Almost All Saints Day!)
    

What a beautiful day in Colorado! I can't remember the last time we had a balmy trick-or-treating evening. Normally we are bundled up to the tee and have chili waiting for us. Today was bootiful (ha ha)!! The sky was blue and the air warm. John took the older 4 kids trick-or-treating down in the Broadmoor area of town. Rumor had it that the folks there handed out king size candy.....for those non locals these are the biggest and most expensive houses around. Well, the rumor was true and the kids came home with bags and bags and bags of king size candy. Alexandra was practicing her upcoming role in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - a hag in the army. With a green and black face - and all dressed in black - she was scary. The we had little Darth Vadar and big Darth Vadar. Michael has been wanting to dress up alike with John for years - and this year they did it.....Darth and mini-Darth with the heavy breathing and all. Jack decided to be the Ninja he picked out last year and scrapped at last minute - fortunately the costume was plenty big and he enjoyed it! Tommy recycled Jack's favorite costume of all time - a bumble bee coat that even has a stinger! And then there was Peter - in the most recycled of Halloween costumes - a Winnie the Pooh that started with Michael. WOW - 10 years later and the pooh voice recorded into the costume still works!!

I have added a few pictures of Peter in the photo gallery - so please check them out.....Peter tubeless!! YEAH!! Peter and I didn't go out into the dark - we stayed home lighting candles (don't have to worry about oxygen explosion anymore!), baking lasagna and making up hot apple cider. We handed out candy to the kids that came over. All in all we had a wonderful relaxing evening. And we reflected on this time last year....it was more than just the weather that was different. Peter is a whole different child. This time last year Peter was working on holding his head up, he was still learning to eat orally, had a feeding tube and oxygen. He was small. Now he is a strapping hyper active little dude. He wants to move and play. He may not be walking, but that doesn't stop him from getting around and getting into trouble. Nothing is safe with little fingers!! And I wonder about next year.....what will Peter be doing next year??

And just a quick update - got a call on my cell from Dr. Abman. They are submitting the paper work for the overnight oxygen test at home. We should get that next week sometime I think. Then do it right away and send it back. I am convinced it will be great. In which case we can take Peter off of oxygen at night. It seems so petty - but it makes the trip to Grandma's for Thanksgiving SOOOOO much easier. No lugging the huge concentrator, extra tanks, lots of tubes, tape and cannulas up to South Dakota and back. I can't tell you how freeing it is to be able to just pick Peter up and go. I feel so carefree!! And it is so much easier to run an errand and just take Peter with me. I LOVE THE FREEDOM!!!

Will keep you all posted on Peter's progress. This week he has started to take off on eating with a spoon on his own (sort of) which is great. I have to make sure the spoon makes it into the jar by positioning the jar just right....we have food all over the place....but Peter is so proud of himself. Sometimes he still wants to be pampered and fed, but it is exciting to see he is really understanding the concept of self feeding.

On a completely different note - one of the kids stepped on my purse which had my eye glasses in it. I was wearing my prescription shades at the time. I was so upset. I knew their days were numbered as they are on child #4 ripping them off my face and twisting them in the split second before I recover them. Anyway, I had to drive this afternoon. I put some contacts in.....oh goodness - my eyes feel horrible and I can barely see right now. So please do excuse any typos - i feel almost legally blinded by these little plastic things. I think I need to get some new glasses.....maybe I'll get myself some Sarah Palin glasses - I hear they are selling like hot cakes!



Have a spooktacular evening!
catherine

No comments: