Sunday, November 30, 2008

Peter - CarePage - November 30th, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

We are home - and just in time as we are being hit with never ending snow. Not massive amounts of accumulation - but enough to stay in doors and avoid icy snow-packed roads. Despite our kids working to clear the drive way - it is white again. School is delayed tomorrow - so kids are excited to ease back into school after having been gone. We did get back late last night and today celebrated first Sunday of Advent. We got the tree up, pulled out our candles and started our readings. Our challenge for tomorrow is to recognized God's presence in one small thing in our day... hope you do the same!

So, Peter is not a long distance car lover! I think we barely made it to Wyoming on the way up to Rapid before he put his foot down and demanded out. I think the issue is being in the car when it's dark - but hard to tell. He has some stubborn streak in him because once he's decided he wants out that is it. Check out the picture below -  Peter's driving the car! You should have seen the smile on his face. Now, we were parked with the engine off in the rest area - but still - Peter got a kick out of it! And which of us does not have a picture as a kid "driving" a car.




We did eventually make it to Rapid Tuesday night and settled right into bed for all. Wednesday the rest of the family started arriving. The cousins getting to know each other again. For all but one, this was their first time meeting Peter. I think by the fact that we got their first, Peter had a chance to be comfortable with the setting before he had to figure out all these new faces. But, in some way it had to remind him of being in the NICU... all these cute young girls uhh-ing and coo-ing at his every move. Of course he performed! The smiles, the waves, the Hi's, the coy face hiding in the neck. The kid knows what he is doing!! He was passed around and played with and hugged and kissed. For a kid that is normally on the go all day long - he sure was enjoying sitting on the couch and cuddling with his cousins!! We did go out for a bit despite the chilly weather - Peter enjoyed the ducks at the park, but was not so hip on the dinosaurs at the top of the hill (neither was I to be honest - love the dinosaurs, hate the cold!).

Thursday was a busy day with turkey and all. The older kids went to help at the soup kitchen, while Peter stayed back and helped with the meal. As I ponder on Thanksgiving - I am first and foremost thankful for family. I feel blessed to be surrounded by people who love me! But I am most thankful for the blessing of all my kids and their health - Peter included. We came so close, yet here he is growing bigger and stronger each day. And now, when he laughs there is sound. For the longest time it was an intake of air and like watching a belly laugh in a silent movie. Now there are giggles followed by the deep intake of air, followed by more glorious sound!! And today it hit me even more.... Christmas is going to be a long time - glorious, but I suspect I will be relieved when the tree comes down. I remember last year telling Peter I was glad he couldn't reach the tree but looked forward to when he could. Well, now he can and really fast. We have placed it in a corner and positioned furniture we hope we can use to create a barrier - but I suspect my ingenious child will pulled to that tree like a magnet. But, I smile.... how truly glorious that Peter is still here and we can watch his little determined body race for that tree!!


 (Peter laughing and hanging out with Uncle Bob - his Godfather)

Back to Thanksgiving.... John and I did Black Friday. We debated and had decided to stay in bed. Yet, as we heard others get ready in the wee hours of the morning I drug John out of bed and off we went. We were successful in our endeavors - so I am excited to really be able to enjoy advent knowing all is truly taken care of - if you get my drift. Later that day the older kids got to geo cache with Uncle Bob. Bless him for his patience! And bless Sharon for reminding him to bring the GPS. The kids had a great time despite the weather - and are still talking about their loot. The most popular item being the wooden gun that shoots rubber bands. Clearly I have not found an opportunity to "put it in a safe place" and Michael walks around with it firmly protected by his belt. It has caused a few episodes of drama - but fortunately no one has been hurt. Another thing to be thankful for!!

Yesterday we headed home and tried a different route. Hmmm..... won't likely try that again. I am an interstate speed plus sort of person - so fortunately John drove as I likely would have gone bananas trying to go 60mph when my soul searched for much higher speeds. Those windy country roads are just a temptation calling your name if like me you grew up dreaming of racing noisy cars at high speeds. Alas, John drove legally and safely while I buried myself in a book. Which leads me to sidebar once more....Twilight.....can't put it down! Alexandra read the book a couple of years ago and it just came out in the theatre. I wanted to read it before I saw the movie. Good and bad. Love the book!! The movie took too many artistic liberties in my opinion. So, to assess my initial reaction to the movie - we went and saw it again while in Rapid City..... a girls night out! I was more gushy about the movie second time around but honestly the book was so good there was no way the movie would ever do it justice. I am now more than half way through the third book in the series and looking forward to reading the fourth. I have to say - for us girls that enjoy that true love story with the gentleman that picks the common girl - this book is all that and so much more. The electricity between Bella and Edward is truly amazing.... love it!!!

Anyway - sorry about all my sidebars. Happy Thanksgiving..... and here is to a truly magical Advent as we prepare. Below are a few pics of the family getting the tree ready.... we take turns each year on who gets to put the angel on the top of the tree - this year was Tommy's turn. He wasn't too excited about being held up to the top of the tree, but was proud of himself after he got the angel on. Yeah Tommy!! Jack of course was Mr. Ham as he popped his head into a ton of my pictures. All in all they had fun!







Love,
catherine

ps. I think Peter wants a camera for Christmas.... check this out - he spots the camera, he reaches it successfully, then he celebrates his success!!







No comments: