Saturday, August 9, 2008

Peter - Carepage - August 9th, 2008

DU SAYS: WE ROCK!!

Well, Peter had his study yesterday. The results I will get will be generic as they can't disclose exact scores, etc but I think Peter did great! We had to wake him up to get him ready and out the door to Denver. By the time we got there he was a bit tired. They took us back to a crowded room, had me put Peter down and literally 10 or so people just stared at him. Peter sat perfectly straight and looked at each person - examining their face and then smiling at them. He wasn't his normal vocal active self - it was as if he was trying to behave really well. But, he did relax and moved around, played with water, etc. Then they had us leave as they documented stuff. I was then invited back to meet with the panel and ask questions. The feedback was so positive - basically they said that Peter did great - was social, attentive, purpose driven and all around well developed. They were happy to see Tommy play with Peter, and observe that interaction. In a nutshell they said we are doing great, doing the right things, and to stay the course with our "healthy" approach to raising and challenging Peter. They commended us not being overly protective and encouraging Peter to explore and play, play, play. It was so great to have that re-assurance.

We had lunch off - so went across the road for lunch with our friend Pam Hernandez. Pam's husband Jacinto was the doctor I mentioned in my early carepages as really making sure Peter got the best care possible at TCH. Anyway, know how God just knows what you need? - well, I needed Pam. We had a nice lunch together catching up on families. Pam walked across the road to see the learning center - and thank goodness! Tommy was not allowed into Peter's afternoon session - so instead he played outside with Pam. He liked her so much he asked her if she was a grandma :-)...oh Tommy! Thank you Pam!!


Peter did PHENOMENAL in his afternoon session. They tested his cognitive skills and he pretty much did everything they asked of him. He was more his normal self - moving around, exploring and talking. The lady testing him was very pleased and often seemed surprised at how much Peter did. Looking for toys under towels, ringing bells, squeaking toys, knowing to look for things in cups, banging blocks together and so much more. And he seemed to have such a great time showing off his skills.

It did tucker him out though! He slept the whole way home and another hour or so after we got home. Tommy too was tuckered out. I had promised him a Starbucks drink on the way home. I didn't even spot the store - but Tommy did - yeah Tommy! So we got our drinks, got on the highway and he was out like a light. It was a nice drive home in the pouring rain. It gave me the time I needed to just relax, pray and contemplate....and really be thankful for the opportunity this experience gave me. It reassured me that God does take care of me - he gave me Pam when I needed her most! And, he gave me the therapists that boosted my confidence in how we are doing with Peter. I told them how I always worry that "I don't know what I don't know"...and afraid that down the road I will say "If only I had know xyz, Peter would be doing better". I don't want to limit his potential by my lack of knowledge. They smiled at me and reassured me, and really congratulated the whole family on our approach and successes. They commented on the love, support and good sound common sense. Yeah!!

Running to take Jack to a birthday party - but wanted to let you know that yesterday went really well.

Love to all
Catherine

No comments: