Monday, August 11, 2008

Peter - Carepage - August 11th, 2008

PETER IS 15 MONTHS OLD!!!

Peter visited Dr. McCaffery today for his 15 month check up. He flew through with flying colors. He measured in at 29.5" and one ounce short of 20lbs. I am so excited!! He has officially moved from below the 50th percentile to above the 50th percentile for boys with DS (in both categories). The rice cereal is paying off! He is still very evenly distributed. If he keeps his current growth schedule he will be around 5'6" to 5'7" or so.....and honestly taller than what I expected. All else went well, he got one shot and bounced right back per John.

I am going to keep this short as Peter is upstairs crawling around into EVERYTHING! I had someone make a comment at Church that Peter is constantly moving and how that keeps me busy during Mass. And I smiled - and for that moment in time I gave God a big thank you for Peter's health to be so active. I just love watching him take off down the hall to discover what the other kids have left in their wake. What was special about this weekend is that I found myself many times just staring at Peter - and really thanking God for Peter - not for his health, or his energy, or his smiles, or anything else....purely and simply for Peter!

He has enriched my life beyond words, and he's only 15 months....there is still so much to enjoy. And as I sat on the floor today trying to get Peter to play, but to have him turn and race down the hall towards the kids room, I felt the situation somewhat prophetic. I've subconciously counted on Peter to be our life long companion. But, as I watched him race down the hall to discover his next adventure I smiled....one day Peter will likely leave home - on his personal quest for his next adventure and where ever that will take him. It was bitter sweet because on one hand I wanted to hold on and never let go, and on the flip side I wanted to say "run, jump, laugh and discover - too many of us forget to do that!"

Good night! May God continue to bless us all, and may we be reminded to thank Him for all.

Love,catherine

No comments: