Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Peter - Carepages - May 30th, 2007

Peter is 3 weeks old today! When I left the house in labor, little did I know I would be away this long. It is getting hard being gone for so long - I so miss being at home with the family! Each day is a day closer to being home again, but it would be nice if we just knew when that would be. It's also hard knowing that we will need to be gone again during Peter's heart surgery (assuming we come home first). John has been busy at work in the house this week, and no doubt when I come home I will feel like I'm going home to a new house. Oh I look forward to it!! Peter seems to be remaining stable and on a good track. His creatinine (thanks Aunt Dodie for the spelling) was down to 1.4 today - so close to the 0.9 or less we are shooting for. They continue to up the amount of fluid intake, and he is having a bit of trouble keeping up with it. He is still doing a great job bottle feeding, but we are having to put some through the feeding tube. Overall he is eating well, and no doubt just a matter of time before his energy level catches up with his feeding requirements. Would help too if he napped! Yesterday he was up for 4 hours before finally giving in and allowing himself to rest. All this activity he doesn't want to miss out on....not to mention a little drama here and there. Sometimes you hear just a little too much in the old NICU - and sometimes not enough as you don't know if the drama is resolved or not, and it would not be right to go up and ask a stranger for a update ;-) Peter seems to be loosing his saturation rates a little more often lately, so I need to get the doctor's perspective on it. Usually some repositioning or stimulus takes care of the issue. It's scary because he appears to be resting so well and his coloring is deceptful. I expect we will get through this before we get home. I've become so used to alarms going off on computers to tell me if he is breathing too fast, too slow, not maintaining his oxygen, etc. I'm scared of what it will be like when we are home without all the machines. While it will be a relief to get rid of the alarms - which I hear in my sleep - but scared I am going to be watching his every breath 24/7 instead. Anyway. Library is closing early today and I wanted to make sure I got an update out. The nurse is holding Peter out for me to get up for his 3pm feeding. Must run snuggle little man!! I can't say this enough - thank you! Thank you for all your prayers and support. Please continue to keep little Peter in your prayers as we know that is healing him. My prayers are so full of thanksgiving, that I forget to ask for a miracle on Peter's heart. Please keep his heart and all his little organs in your prayers. Hugs and love! Catherine & John

No comments: