Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Peter's brush with the law

So yesterday was one of those crazy days - things going in every direction. As I mentioned Peter is finally at that height where he can reach up and pull things off tables. He was in the family room and reached up and pulled the phone down.... I was in the kitchen when John figured out the phone was off the hook. I found Peter and the phone - without think I just shut it off and put it away. We sat down for dinner and the phone started ringing, and ringing and ringing - no messages being left. Alexandra suggested we answer - but our rule is no phone calls during family dinner. After dinner John was playing with the boys, I slipped down to get some work done, Alexandra was cooking up a Peruvian dish for dinner tonight when the door bell rung. THE POLICE..... not our favorite 80's band - but rather a true officer of the law. I guess Peter had started off his call to China with 911. The phone calls during dinner was the dispatcher trying to ensure all was OK, since no answer she sent out the police. Oh how embarrassing! I knew something was wrong when I could hear Tommy and Jack getting on Peter's case with just that extra volume and glee like he'd been caught doing something wrong. I came up to make sure all was OK as John was saying goodnight to the good man in blue. Jack and Tommy loudly saying "Peter! you called the police!!!". Peter not understanding a word but enjoying the attention. Fortunately we didn't get in trouble for false reporting or anything. Mental note - keep the phones away from Peter. One of our kids was bound to dial 911 some time..... never thought it would be Peter. Good night - HUGS

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh Peter! That's too funny (kind of). A story you can tell in the years to come! That is my worst fear with Thad, he loves playing with the phone!

Penny Green said...

Way to go Peter, I guess after all the 'excitement' you caused in the early months of your life you figured things were getting a ittle dull at home and needed spicing up!

Seriously it's brilliant to know that your little man is doing so well that he's up to such mischief although I agree that putting the phone out of his reach is probably a good plan.

I look forward to hearing more of Peter's adventures in the future.

Penny Green
Down's Heart Group
www.dhg.org.uk