Saturday, January 10, 2009

Quickie update

I have been completely delinquent - so much for regular updates huh??!! I've just been having way too much fun in Peru - and Peter is the most amazing kid ever! He has just rolled with it like a pro, and is obviously having a great time. I have close to 500 pictures taken, so I do need to weed them out and post a bunch. Peter and I leave around midnight tomorrow to head back to Colorado, and will get there mid day Monday. I promise to post a full update and pictures once I get settled in. Quick synopsis of the trip -
Monday - walked the district of Miraflores within Lima and enjoyed a relaxing evening at home
Tuesday - slept in! we were tired!! then headed down to "Pulpos" where my parents have a beach house. We enjoyed a little time by the water, and then a dinner on the balcony overlooking the ocean. Late that night my Uncle Peter arrived from England to enjoy the summer here.
Wednesday - enjoyed the beach in the morning - took my first dip in the Pacific Ocean and tried body surfing again! Tumbled in the waves and enjoyed the sand between my toes. Then headed down to "Asia" beach where there is an incredible little shopping/dining area - and had my favorite chicken in the world at the Granja Azul restaurant. Got home late, so had wine with cheese and crackers as we watched the waves break.
Thursday - came back to Lima and had a wonderful evening with some of my old friends from school - San Silvestre - British girl's school I attended. I swear my friends never age because they look like they did when we graduated twenty years ago!
Friday - yes, I'm spoiled.... manicure and pedicure day! Amazing "cebiche" lunch at a fish restaurant. Then helping get things taken care of for my mom's special party. In the evening we had the party at the local "Phoenix Club" and it was fabulous! I saw people I hadn't seen in 20 years. My mother was the belle of the ball, followed closely by Peter who was the special guest of honor. These wonderful folks have prayed and hoped for Peter's good health - and seeing him brought so much joy to them. My Tia Janet (Aunt Janet) was even on the floor chasing after people as he crawled around. It could not have gone better!
Saturday (today) - had another gorgeous run along the beach.... oh it was beautiful!! Then we visited with Nilda - my mother's reflexologist who had a young daughter with DS. She was the pillar of strength my mother needed here after our pre-natal diagnosis and the health challenges after Peter's birth. Unfortunately her daughter died unexpectedly from an infection - so holding Peter was bitter-sweet for her. Peter took to her instantly and gave her the hug she needed. Fit in a little shopping and more great food!! Including one of my favorite desserts - "picarones". A deep fried donut made of squash and sweet potato batter and drizzled with a peruvian syrup made from crushed brown sugar cane. Yummy!! Then we took an almost 4 hour bus tour of historic Lima and a local park with amazing water fountains.

Tomorrow we have a lot of little things to do - a little shopping, washing and packing - but, if the weather is good hope to go para-gliding right off the cliff in front of my parents apartment. A bit scared of jumping off a cliff - but hoping the weather will be right to do so.

Anyway - there is a quickie update. Can't wait to share the pics with you and more details on Peter's experiences. I just have to say - Peter is the perfect traveller!!

Love -
catherine

No comments: