Saturday, February 2, 2008

Peter - Carepage - February 2nd, 2008


Sorry this wasn't earlier in the week - I have been very busy at work and therefore working late. I hope I remember everything I wanted to share with you! First, Dr. McCaffery did call me Monday night - I just love that man! He said the "acute bronchiolitis" is actually RSV. He didn't believe Peter had RSV especially since he got his synagis shot about 10 days earlier. Phew! He still agreed he wanted to see Peter the next day to check him out. As you all know I was not doing to so well on Monday....by midnight I had determined the Children's Hospital in Houston TX was the best place for Peter to be treated, was planning house projects to get it ready to sell, was researching Houston housing, etc. Yep - it's that really small piece of OCD in me. Well...bear with me as I share a story here. Our dear friend Patty had once told me about a dream where her husband Doug had a scar on the side of his head, a tear on his face, but God was reassuring her all was ok. Many years later Doug got a brain tumor. Upon praying about the situation, God led her to the journal where she had written about this dream so many years earlier, and she knew Doug would be ok. Well, God knows I'm not doing a real good job at listening, but a great job at talking! Well, my friend Silvia had told me about a lady's blog site she visits. Amongst other things she has a son with DS. I sent her an e-mail in December and forgot all about it. Monday I got an e-mail from her where she mentioned how blessed we are to have our sons - so I decided to visit her blog again. There in a letter to parents of special needs kids, she quoted me! I'd never felt quote worthy before - but she put the following statement that I had put in my e-mail to her (you can find the complete letter at http://www.mommylife.net/archives/2008/01/to_moms_and_dad.html). "And I just read an email from Catherine, a mother of 5, whose youngest son has Down syndrome. She wrote: While I always knew in my heart of hearts that I would be a better person because of Peter I could never dream just how deep that learning would be. So as I stare at Peter in my arms I realize how much I have learned and how much I have to go. I am inspired by him to be a saint - but fall short every day. It gives me an excuse to whisper in his ear that he needs to beat the little battles going on in his body because I will need a life time of him so that I can become the mom I dream of being!" WOW...it so was what I needed to hear after a crazy day. THANK YOU GOD!! Enough of me and back to Peter. Tuesday Dr. McCaffery determined his drainage in his throat caused a bacterial infection. He is on antibiotices to help with that. His saturation rates where in the 90's thanks to the increase in oxygen. Peter has continued to eat well all week, and is definitely a lot better. He weighed in at 15lb 15oz - so a 5oz gain in less than a week! He is sleeping well, and his congestion has diminished. YEAH! Peter is racing down the road of recovery!! Peter never slowed down and the new pictures posted will show all he is working on in therapy. He is getting closer to sitting on his own - he can stay propped for a bit. With some support he rocks back and forth on all fours. He loves to stand, so we are teaching him to stand propped on furniture. We are also doing hand-on-hand feedings so that he can learn to feed himself. Yesterday we went through the PT book we have and Peter is well into stage 3 of development so we are so excited! Running short on space, but I just want to ask for continued prayers for Peter and the doctors treating him. Looking back on this week I have figured out one more thing I need to learn from Peter - to trust! When you are with Peter he radiates such purity and faith - he is enjoying his journey. I need to strengthen my faith and trust because I am sure God is tired of me trying to jump in the driver's seat! Thank you to all for your messages, e-mails and phone calls of support. HUGS! catherine