Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Peter - Carepage - February 20th, 2008


Quick Peter update! Like I mentioned last time, Peter kicked the cold pretty fast. However, our cardiologist's partner asked that we keep Peter at a 1/2 liter of oxygen. We go back for the next echo at the end of April. We continue to pray for a miracle for Peter's lungs. Peter is getting chunky! On January 15th Peter went in for a synagis shot and was right around 15lbs. He went back in on February 12th for his next shot and was 16lbs 5oz....so over a pound in less than a month!! We are so excited. I think if I had to put a feeding tube in now it would be like doing it for the first time all over again except without Kodi (Peter's nurse) telling me to push through it as I freaked out. I am so glad those days are behind us!! The enteral feeding company is coming to pick the pump and other pieces of equipment up this week - yeah! On the less good side, Peter's eating is catching up with him....poor kid - can't cut a break sometimes. I guess his digestive system is slow, and because his appetite has increased he developed acid reflux. Not that we would have known it because his disposition is so pleasant that he would just puke on us, smile and keep wanting to eat. We talked to our pediatrician earlier this week and he has put Peter on two meds - one to accelarate his digestion and one to control the acid reflux. Peter really dislikes these meds so we will need to see how long this goes for....I assume he will outgrow this. Now we have less coming out the top and more coming out the bottom - literally! Ending on a good note...my child speaketh! During his PT session on Friday there was a lot of activity in the room. I heard "mama mama mama" and didn't think anything of it until Kerry said "did you hear that?" It wasn't until she had me slow down enough to focus that I heard it coming from Peter. He had such focus in his little eyes - his lips pursed together and he was saying "mama mama mama". I could have cried. That night he went to town! We are so used to hearing some variation of "aaaaa" that hearing him was like music to our ears - he lala'ed, mama'ed and baba'ed into the wee hours before wearing himself out. Of course all weekend he just smiled as I excitedly said and signed "mama" trying to encourage him. I think Monday morning he figured he better reward me for my persistence. He was laying on the bed early - he likes to sing in the mornings - and before I headed out to take the kids to school I looked down on him and told him we needed to get some good pictures for the carepage so that we could give you all an update - he smiled and said "mama". Oh my - did my heart ever dance in the moment in time! Now he's letting me work really hard for my next "mama"....a mother's job is never done! But, the tight little lips, the look of concentration on his face and the crystal clear syllabals coming from him mouth will be etched in my heart for ever! Much love to you all - stay warm and healthy - this really has been a cold winter with lots of flu going around. Why can't we here in Colorado be on the "warming" side of global warming??! HUGS! catherine