Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Peter - Carepage - December 11th, 2007


The last six weeks have been full of joy and turmoil. Peter decided from one day to the next to stop eating. Words can not capture the stress and emotions of struggling feed after feed while trying to balance work, a new job, kids activities and everything else it takes to keep the family moving forward. John and I are just so exhausted! For 4 straight weeks we struggled, hoping that somehow he was still gaining weight and being disappointed with each weight check. Peter continued to hover a little under 15lbs but fortunately did not loose weight. We started fortifying the breast milk again and introduced solids - but the challenge continued as he refused to latch on to anything. Friday he suddenly decided to start drinking again, and we are hoping is on an upwards trend. At today's visit he gained weight and is now 15lb 3.5oz - yeah Peter! The question now is whether we need to move forward with surgery to insert a G-tube straight into his tummy to assist with feeding. Dr. McCaffery is going to check with our cardiologist Dr. Duster and we should know more later this week. Since Peter has pulmonary hypertension there is significant risk with anesthesia. Please pray for the continued wisdom of these doctors as they consider the best course of treatment for Peter. I am trying to keep this to one page - so here are the highlights on Peter: * Halloween - he wore the same pumpkin outfit Alexandra wore as a baby but it was too cold to go out - so he helped hand out candy instead! * Before turning 6 months Peter was rolling back to tummy, and tummy to back - several months ahead of average for kids with Downs! At times he keeps on rolling until he is complete wound up in his O2 tube!! * Working on sitting with the help of a Bumbo chair - which has really helped with head control too! * Continuing to make choices during music therapy with Cathy - this really is Peter's favorite therapy. * Going from bearing no weight on his legs to figuring out how to push into the standing position while you hold his hands....now this is his favorite position and is guaranteed to bring smiles! * Hitting or surpassing all but one goal for 6 months in PT/OT sessions! * Saying a sad goodbye to nurse Felicity and physical therapist Sarah....but a warm welcome to physical therapist Kerry whom we LOVE!! She is doing such a great job with Peter!! She is also Sarah's sister-in-law so we can stay up to date on Sarah's adventures in the Ukraine. * Thanksgiving and getting to meet Godparents Bob & Sharon, and cousin Kristen...so much to be thankful for! * Putting up the Christmas tree and realizing how much has happened in the twelve months since decorating the tree last year when saying "next year Baby Bear will be with us!" * Moving from the craddle to a big boy crib - and loving it!! Things always seem busy in the Krause house, but I cherish the times in the evening when I can just snuggle up with Peter. It gives me time to reflect and remind Peter that he still has so much to teach me! I think about how much I love each of my kids...and while I have always told them I love them all the same amount but in different ways - how deeply truthful that is with Peter. While I spend my time preparing Alexandra, Michael, Jack and Tommy for the world - I find myself preparing the world for Peter. And watch out world because here comes someone amazing!! I've also learned that sometimes it doesn't matter how hard we try, we just can't do things. I am thankful that at the times I've been humbled into accepting my inabilities, that I have had my faith to catch me. I am thankful that God picks me up, wipes me tears, brushes the dirt off me, kisses my scraped knee and sends me back out into the world to learn something else. I'm thankful for answered prayers - even if they aren't the way I want them answered. With much love! catherine