Monday, February 16, 2009

Peter... from Baby Bear to Bear Walker

I have been out of touch a bit because the last several weeks have been crazy! Shortly after coming back from Peru I was recruited into a new position at UHC.  It is the spot I wanted to land in three years ago - so a dream come true. I am totally excited!! It is no doubt a huge challenge and phenomenal opportunity. I truly believe God knew I couldn't have taken it on two or three years ago.... but here we are now.... and I am so excited. I completed 99% of my transition work last week - which in itself was emotionally draining - to leave behind people that have helped you grow and become part of your life. But, this is life I guess. So now, on to the new challenges, opportunities and joys. Please keep me in your prayers as I move into this. 

And speaking of challenges and joys - Peter has graduated from "Baby Bear" to "Bear Walker"!! I had mentioned to you that when we had Peter's PT session at The Children's Hospital in Denver - Pat Winders had told us to start working on developing walking skills. Well, late January the special walker we wanted for Peter arrived. Peter took to walking like a duck to water. So if you put your hands under his arm pits or sometimes hold his hands close to his torso he will take steps.... and can walk all around the house. You can tell the concept has clicked and he wants to do it. In addition from one day to the next he mastered the concept of turning and pushing to go down the stairs. We thought he'd never get it - and all of a sudden he just did it. So now he is mobile through all three floors of the house..... nothing is safe! Especially now that he is getting a bit taller and can reach up and pull things off of tables. We have to remember to stop clapping at all that he does because soon he will be a tornado on the loose. 


Anyway - Peter and the walker. It goes a bit fast for him and he tends to just plop. So Tommy came up with the best solution - he sits in the walker and lets Peter take him for walks..... which generally means walking straight until you hit the wall, hit the wall, hit the wall, and hit the wall if you get my drift. Here are the boys! One day he'll learn to turn the thing and then Tommy better hold on tight because I can see this becoming a wild ride some day. 


And then there is Peter's graduation to Bear Walker. As you know Peter has been master of the army crawl for about a year now. I think in his effort to figure out how to actually walk he has figured out the bear walk. So he stretches all his limbs and crawls down the hall like a bear. It is so cool to watch. Then he will push as if wanting to stand - but since he doesn't straighten up his body he just sort of keeps going and lands on this bottom. A couple of times he's pulled up to stand on furniture or the wall and will then let go as if trying to balance himself. Lasts but a split second - but hey! he's trying. His balance isn't great yet - but I think the fact he has the concept and is trying is truly amazingly phenomenal!!! Here's Bear Walker. 



That is about it from this corner of the world right now. 

Love to all, 
catherine

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So fun! He's looking more and more like a little boy... especially in the picture of him with the walking toy. Your life just got busier with a true toddler now! Congratulations with the new job too! Will you still be able to work from home?

Mindy said...

I love the picture with Tommy sitting in the little walker and Peter right behind him! Sorry I missed you guys last Sunday. I'm feeling much better so I'll see you this Sunday.