Monday, June 11, 2007

Peter - Carepages - June 11th, 2007


WE ARE COMING HOME!! YEAH!! Sorry this is late, but what a day it has been. Cardiology came by today and were happy with Peter's progress. Despite not having gained weight over 7 days, they saw a drop and then a slow progress up hill back to what he was 7 days ago. The cardiologist says Peter did what she expected because his caloric intake was only enough to maintain weight, not gain. He has today been increased to 60ml's of fortified breast milk. Assuming all goes well over the next couple of days we will be home by the weekend. John and I have to learn how to insert his feeding tube down his nose. Enough to push anyone over the edge! After several tries tonight I got my first successful insert of the tube, and a very tired and red faced baby not enjoying the ride. I made a deal with him - if he starts taking it all orally we don't have to mess with it! The orders are in for the his feeding machine, oxygen, etc. We will be going through training for a variety of things including CPR, machine feeding, oxygen transfers, etc. Ahhh! Crash course in a lot. We will need to have him seen when we get home to ensure the oxygen is calibrated to the Springs as Denver is at a lower altitude. Before they will release him they need to do some fine-tuning but are optimistic. Now the nerves kick in of knowing we need to do it all on our own. No more nurses, doctors, monitors and bells to tell us if something is not right. We need to integrate all these new challenges into our day to day live - knowing that each of our children has his/her own needs and those can't be neglected. It's figuring out Peter's feeding schedule and my pumping schedule so that I can get some sleep. It will take a bit, but John and I will be learning how to become a better team as we will be leaning a lot on each other. Fingers crossed the kids will still have food on the table and clean underwear as we figure it all out. As a result of this direction I will likely be going back to work in 2-3 weeks so that I can have time saved up for Peter's heart surgery. It will be hard, but fingers crossed things will be quiet so that it is an easy transition back into the working world. I've been quite spoiled getting to just sit, snuggle and be present for Peter over the last (almost) 5 weeks. Anyway, I'm tired and want to spend a few moments with John as today is our anniversary so we have much to celebrate. Also a special wish to my Aunt Lizzie who celebrates her birthday today, and remembering my grandmother who would have celebrated a birthday yesterday. Suffice to say this will continue to be a days we will celebrate for more reasons as the years pass. Prayerfully hopeful things will continue to progress well and soon I will be updating you all from the comfort of my own home! Love to all, John & Catherine

No comments: